Friday, 6 March 2015

The Maze Runner Review

Sorry for the lack of posts guys :( I've been super busy with uni, its a lame excuse I know! 
Anyway today I'm going to review the 2014 movie adaptation of The Maze Runner. I read this book in late 2013, and I was really looking forward to checking out the movie. Although I have left it quite late to actually see it, as I missed it when it was in the cinema, and its taken me almost a month since the UK dvd release to actually watch it, I finally purchased it and watched it last night.
This review might have some spoilers for the movie in it, I'll try not to spoil it, but I can't guarantee that it won't happen!
I really enjoyed this movie, I settled down with a bag of sweet and salty popcorn (the best flavour!) and was thoroughly entertained for almost two hours. 
IMDB describes the movie as; "Thomas is deposited in a community of boys after his memory is erased, soon learning they're all trapped in a maze that will require him to join forces with fellow "runners" for a shot at escape."
The action starts almost immediately, I was impressed how quickly the film drew me in, we meet Thomas and the rest of the "Gladers" almost immediately. 
I though Dylan O'Brien did a really good job in the lead role in this movie. He seemed to incorporate Thomas' fear and confusion of finding himself in this strange situation, but also captures his curiosity and his general need to break rules and do what he wants!! 
I also thought that the rest of the cast do an excellent job as the various side characters in the movie. I though Will Poulter was excellent as Gallie, he showed his descent into almost madness, and his final scene was really excellently acted. Also Thomas Sangster-Brody was great as Newt, he is my favourite character in the books, so I was a little hesitant to see how he would be brought to the screen. Thomas more than does him justice however, he manages to show his maturity and how much he cares for the rest of the boys, but also his bravery and willingness to trust and put his faith in the other boys. Another character who I loved in the books was Chuck, and he is played really well by Blake Cooper in this movie. Although I think the movie lacked a lot of the relationship between Chuck and Thomas, they are so close in the books, and I didn't really get a sense of this in this movie, but it didn't make the final scene (you know the one I'm talking about!) any easier to watch!
The whole look of the movie was good, the Grievers were graphically very realistic, and all the landscaping of the maze was similar to how I imagined it, and seemed to be quite accurate to how the book described it! 
The only aspect of the movie I didn't like was actually Theresa, I felt a bit let down by her in the movie. She was played by Kaya Scodelario, and I just felt like we didn't get to know her well enough, we didn't see any of the connection between her and Thomas. I understand that the movie couldn't incorporate every single aspect of the book, but I feel that the relationship between Theresa and Thomas is a pretty integral part of the novel, and it felt like it was missing.
Overall I really enjoyed this movie, I gave it a strong 4.5/5, and I'm really looking forward to the sequel which I think is out later this year.


Thanks for reading guys. Have you seen The Maze Runner? Feel free to let me know your opinions in the comments :)

No comments:

Post a Comment