Sunday, 16 June 2013

Book Review- A Shade of Blood

Title: A Shade of Blood
Author: Bella Forrest
Published: April 8th 2013
Series: A Shade of Vampire #2
Genre: Paranormal, Vampire, Young Adult, Romance

Rating: 3/5

This is a review of a sequel, if you haven't read the book or don't want to be spoiled, check out my review of the first book here.

I received a copy of the ebook from the author in return for a honest review.

This is the second book in The Shade of Vampire trilogy and if I'm honest I was a little bit disappointed. I really enjoyed the first novel in this series, but this one let me down.
There are however, some positives to this novel, it's not all bad.
This novel was lot longer than the last, which allowed better character development and allowed us readers to become better acquainted with the characters in the novel. I also appreciated that we learnt more about Derek and his background, through the use of flashbacks. We also learnt more about Derek and Sofia's family, which were a bit of a mystery in the first book.
In terms of the author, her writing style has improved since book 1 and the book flows smoothly throughout. The author's use of different P.O.Vs, allows more insight into the different characters and makes sure we follow all the differing plot lines as we move through the story.
I also thought the pacing of this novel was good, it kept my interest throughout and there were some good twists and turns which kept me on my toes.
Unfortunately there were also quite a lot of things I didn't like.
I really didn't like Ben in this book, he seemed horrible and completely different from how he came across in the first book. To me it seemed that he was supposed to be a love interest to compete with Derek but to me he seemed like a douche. He dated other girls because he felt that he wasn't ready to settle down with Sofia. He knew Sofia loved him and just expected her to wait for him while he dated other girls. To me that makes him a jerk.
In this book, when Sofia leaves it causes Derek to spiral down to depths of evil, which involve murder and almost rape but when Sofia returns she goes back to him and accepts him without any problem. This didn't sit very well with me as I'm sure most women would be affected by the actions of Derek and may reconsider their feelings for the guy. I don't believe that the explanation that Sofia will turn him good, that she will change him, is enough to forget what he has done.
Sofia also annoyed me that she forgave Derek so quickly and easily, and didn't stay angry at him for any length of time, she seemed unable to stay angry at him, even though the things he did were pretty bad!
Another part in the book that didn't quite make sense to me was the change that overcame Vivienne in this book. In book 1 she was cold and ruthless and seemed a dislikeable spoilt Princess, but in this book she had changed into someone we were supposed to like and feel sympathetic towards. This just didn't make sense to me, we were given very little evidence to show why this change had happened. 
Another problem I had with this novel was the predictability of many of the plot twists. I found myself exasperated over many of the revelations in this book, for example with Sofia's family, as they were very obvious while reading.
Overall I thought this instalment in the series was ok and I'm interested to see where Forrest takes the story next, but I thought this was a disappointing sequel in a series which I was really enjoying.

Check it out on Goodreads here 

No comments:

Post a Comment