Sunday, 7 April 2013

Book Review- What's Left of Me

Title: What's Left of Me
Author: Kat Zhang
Published: September 18th 2012
Publisher: Harper Collins
Pages:343
Series: The Hybrid Chronicles #1
Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Dystopian

Rating: 4/5

Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t . . .

For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet . . . for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything -Goodreads


I got an ebook copy of this novel from Net Galley.
I really liked the idea for this novel, the idea of two souls in one body, I thought that was a really unique and intriguing storyline. This novel is very different to any other YA novels I have read, and I really enjoyed it.The plot is thought provoking, when you stop to think about what it would be like to have two souls in one body. 
The plot moves quite slowly, it isn't a fast paced action packed read, but the second half picks up in speed and action content a bit.
I would describe this novel as a dystopian novel, as it has an interesting and well built world, with enough mystery surrounding the fate of other continents as a good dystopian should. There is also a lying government, which is keeping secrets from the population.
I loved that Zhang wrote from Eva's perspective. She is the recessive soul, and I thought this P.O.V was a unique method that worked really well. Eva's voice was strong and resonated well throughout the whole novel.
There are a nice range of side characters in this novel, all of which were interesting to read about. Devon/Ryan was my favourite character, I thought he semed really cool and I enjoyed the sort-of romance between him and Addie/Eva. I also liked that you could easily tell which of Devon or Ryan was the dominant soul at any time because they were so different.
Overall I really enjoyed this novel, I thought it was creative and original, and I would definitely recommend checking it out.

1 comment:

  1. This one looks really interesting! I've never read a book with a protagonist who has two separate identities. Glad you enjoyed it! :D

    New GFC follower from Blogger Lift!
    Daphne @ Reading Until Dawn

    ReplyDelete