Sunday, 23 September 2012

Book Review- Deception Point

Title: Deception Point
Author: Dan Brown
Publication Date: May 1st 2001
Publisher: Corgi Books
Pages: 585
Genre: Adult, Thriller, Mystery

Rating: 3/5

When a new NASA satellite detects evidence of an astonishingly rare object buried deep in the Arctic ice, the floundering space agency proclaims a much-needed victory...a victory that has profound implications for U.S. space policy and the impending presidential election. With the Oval Office in the balance, the President dispatches White House Intelligence analyst Rachel Sexton to the Arctic to verify the authenticity of the find. Accompanied by a team of experts, including the charismatic academic Michael Tolland, Rachel uncovers the unthinkable - evidence of scientific trickery - a bold deception that threatens to plunge the world into controversy...- Goodreads

Dan Brown is one of my favourite adult fiction authors, as I think he writes a really great thriller novel. When I found this novel in my local charity shop, I just had to buy it, so I could read another.
I have been very busy with school recently so I had very little time to read this novel, so it took me slightly longer than a Dan Brown novel would normally take. I don't know why, but I just couldn't get into this novel properly at all. It felt as if Dan Brown had just written the same novel again, except he had changed the names of his main characters. It felt predictable to me and I was disappointed that he couldn't think of anything unique to write, so he just churned out another book with the same formulaic feel as his last.
I can't even really remember what this novel was about, but I remember that it was quite fast paced, with a lot of action in it. It also had a reasonable twist at the end, with the reveal of who was the "baddie" in the book, of course this was someone totally unexpected. 
The two main characters are Rachel and Michael, who are supposedly "normal" people, thrust into these situations. As per most Dan Brown novels, these two characters are attracted to each other, and end up together. Also they both have something in their past that is a weakness, something that the other can get emotional when told about it. This is very similar to all other Dan Brown books, and although these relationships are written nicely, I still felt a bit cheated. 
One thing I do like about Dan Brown's books is his writing style. He writes in a nice, concise way, with a great ability to keep the reader in the dark about various plotlines. 
I know this is a very short review, and I do apologise, but I just don't have many feelings about this novel. Overall I gave it 3/5 as I still liked it even though.



No comments:

Post a Comment