Thursday, 2 August 2012

July Wrap Up

Hello,
This is a short review of all the books I read in July.
The first novel I read was The Fallen Star by Jessica Sorensen. I bought this novel in January on my Kindle as it was free and I thought it sounded good. I finally got round to reading it in early July. I gave this novel 3/5 stars as I thought it was a good enough read but was so similar to many other YA novels that it was a bit predictable.
The next novel I read was Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. I read this novel on my Kindle too as it is a classic and classics are free on Kindle. I had been meaning to pick up this book for a while as it is a well known story that I felt like I should have read. Honestly this novel was a disappointment to me as I was expecting so much more. The character of Alice was bossy and mean and very unlikeable, and the story felt disjointed. I gave this novel 2/5 stars.
I also read Doctor Who: The Nightmare of Black Island by Mike Tucker. I really love everything Doctor Who and I have been missing the TV series so I thought I would check the novels out. I liked this novel and gave it 3/5 stars. I felt the author portrayed the Doctor and Rose exactly as they were in the TV series which was really great.
The next novel I read was The Iron King by Julie Kagawa, which is a YA novel about faeries. I thought this was an interesting idea for a novel, involving a subject I wasn't familiar with. This again was an alright novel, with parts that I really involved but the main character really spoilt it for me. She was a weak character that spent all her time either being saved by others or moaning. I gave this novel 3/5 stars.
I read Cirque Du Freak by Darren Shan in July too. I gave this novel 5/5 stars as I really enjoyed it, it was a type of novel that I hadn't read before but I can't wait to read the rest in the series.
I also read Pirates of the Caribbean: Pirate Chase by Rob Kidd. I gave this short story 3/5 stars. This is a short story about a young Jack Sparrow and one of his adventures with his young crew. This was quite an enjoyable story in which the author got Jack Sparrow just right.
The last book I read in July was Blood on the Moon by Jennifer Knight. I gave this book 2/5 stars as I found it to be very similar to Twilight, with a couple of subtle changes to try and make it different. This annoys me when novel are so similar to others, without any originality.
So overall I read 7 books in July, which is a good total for me. Hope you have a good day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment