Wednesday, 1 August 2012

Book Review- Cirque Du Freak

Title: Cirque du Freak
Author: Darren Shan
Publication Date: June 1st 2000
Publisher: Little Brown Young Readers (US)
Pages: 272
Series: The Saga of Darren Shan #1
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Vampires

Rating: 5/5


In the tradition of Stephen King's 'Salem's Lot, Cirque Du Freak is the frightening saga of a young boy whose visit to a mysterious freak show leads him on a journey into a dark world of vampires. Filled with grotesque creatures, murderous vampires, and a petrifying ending, Cirque Du Freak will chill, thrill, and leave readers begging for more.- Goodreads

My Thoughts

When I went on to Goodreads to choose a novel to buy, I noticed this novel because so many of my friends on Goodreads have given it 5 stars. I had high expectations of this novel and it didn't disappoint.

Plot: 5/5

I really enjoyed the plot of this novel as it was unlike anything I have read before. I have read some vampire novels but I found the plot of this novel to be refreshingly different, it had none of the stereotypical things you expect in a vampire novel. The plot is written in first person which I think is a good move as it adds more detail to the story.

Characters: 5/5

Our main character is called Darren Shan and he is a pretty good main character. He seems like a likeable and realistic main character who is just a normal person thrown into unusual circumstances. The smaller characters are also good, with my favourite being Steve, Darren's best friend. I thought he was a very interesting person and the twist involving him at the end was great and unexpected.

Writing Style: 5/5

I feel like the novel is written in a kind of diary style, with there being lots of thoughts and feelings from our main character Darren Shan. It is written as if Darren is retelling his story for us and it is a different but interesting way to write it.

Overall: 5/5

Although this book is written for younger teenagers it is still an enjoyable book no matter your age. Also don't be put off by the fact there are vampires in it, as they aren't your typical "Twilight" vampires, they are a lot more evil, more Dracula like. I would reccommend this book!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment