Sunday, 19 August 2012

Book Review- Artemis Fowl

Title: Artemis Fowl
Author: Eoin Colfer
Publication Date: May 3rd 2001
Publisher: Hyperion
Pages: 396
Series: Artemis Fowl #1
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult, Adventure

Rating: 3/5

Twelve-year-old Artemis Fowl is a millionaire, a genius—and, above all, a criminal mastermind. But even Artemis doesn’t know what he’s taken on when he kidnaps a fairy, Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon Unit.

These aren’t the fairies of bedtime stories; these fairies are armed and dangerous.

Artemis thinks he has them right where he wants them…but then they stop playing by the rules.


In this novel we meet mastermind Artemis Fowl for the first time. He is a criminal mastermind who has taken over his families business, at the tender age of twelve. In this novel he kidnaps a fairy, with the intent of holding her hostsage and collecting a large ransom in gold. Although Artemis has thought out his plan with military accuracy and made plans to cover his back, things don't go perfectly to plan.
This is essentialy an adventure novel, which I enjoyed. At times I found the plot to be a little slow, with parts dragging out, and not really making me want to pick it back up. The action parts of the novel, were allright, but I did find it quite predictable in parts.
The main character Artemis, is quite an interesting character. For only being 12 years old, he is very intelligent and cunning, and he seems wise beyond his years. I both liked him, his ingenuity, and hated him, his criminal streak, and his kidnapping of the fairy. This made him seem quite unlikeable, but I'm not sure whether that was the aim or whether that was just me.
Overall I thought it was an allright novel, and I liked the action and adventure but it just didn't capture me as much as I wanted. I will continue with the series as I am intrigued by the character of Artemis and I want to know what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment