Saturday, 21 July 2012

Book Review- The Nightmare of Black Island

Title: Doctor Who: The Nightmare of Black Island
Author: Mike Tucker
Publication Date: June 6th 2006
Publisher: BBC Books
Pages: 250 (Hardcover)
Series: New Series Adventures #10
Genre: Doctor Who, Science Fiction

Rating: 4/5

On a lonely stretch of Welsh coastline, a fisherman is killed by a hideous creature from beneath the waves. When the Doctor and Rose arrive, they discover a village where the children are plagued by nightmares, and the nights are ruled by monsters. The villagers suspect that ancient industrialist Nathanial Morton is to blame, but the Doctor has suspicions of his own. Who are the ancient figures that sleep in the old priory? What are the monsters that prowl the woods after sunset? What is the light that glows in the disused lighthouse on Black Island? As the children's nightmares get worse, the Doctor and Rose discover an alien plot to resurrect an ancient evil...- Goodreads

My Thoughts

I really enjoyed this book as another extra story including the 10th Doctor and Rose, probably my favourite couple from Doctor Who. I really loved the idea of this novel and found it quite spooky with some scenes actually being a bit scary.

Plot: 4/5

I really enjoyed the plot in this novel, it was a different idea but one I would quite liked to have seen made into an episode on the tv. In this novel, the Doctor and Rose come face to face with a monster who is controlling the children's dreams. I found this idea quite intriguing and I liked how the monsters relied on something so normal as children's dreams and their imaginations. I also enjoyed the twist at the end, when the aliens plan didn't work quite as they wanted and the importance of the patients in the beds.

Characters: 4/5

The Doctor is very well written in this novel, he is exactly as he is in the tv series. Rose is also very similar to herself on the tv. The relationship between these two characters is great too, with the Doctor knowing just how much he needs Rose and showing just what a good team these two make when they work together.
The aliens in this novel are just as interesting but also scary as you would expect from Doctor Who. I also feel like these monsters had a very original plan to rule and this was interesting to read about.

Setting: 4/5

This novel is set in a rural Welsh village on the coast and I think this added a lot to the novel. The village was described very well in the dark and this definitely added to the eerieness of the whole book. This setting also allowed for running through woods, creepy lighthouse action and underground tunnels.

Overall: 4/5

I really enjoyed this book and it is probably one of the best Doctor Who novels I have read. I thought this was a really original and unique idea for a Doctor Who adventure. If you like Doctor Who I would really recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment