Wednesday, 18 July 2012

Book Review- Inheritance

Title: Inheritance
Author: Christopher Paolini
Publication Date: November 8th 2011
Publisher: Corgi
Pages: 860
Series: Inheritance #4
Genre: Fantasy Young Adult
Rating: 3/5
It began with Eragon....It ends with Inheritance. Not so very long ago, Eragon--Shadeslayer, Dragon Rider--was nothing more than a poor farm boy, and his dragon, Saphira, only a blue stone in the forest. Now the fate of an entire civilization rests on their shoulders.
Long months of training and battle have brought victories and hope, but they have also brought heartbreaking loss. And still, the real battle lies ahead: they must confront Galbatorix. When they do, they will have to be strong enough to defeat him. And if they cannot, no one can. There will be no second chance.
The Rider and his dragon have come farther than anyone dared to imagine. But can they topple the evil king and restore justice to Alagaesia? And if so, at what cost?
This is the spellbinding conclusion to Christopher Paolini's worldwide bestselling Inheritance cycle. - Goodreads

My Thoughts

As the last book in the series I felt a slight relief in the fact that I had made it to the end. This isn't the sort of reaction I want to have at the end of a series but I feel this one deserved it. I wouldn't say this was an amazing book but I feel like Paolini has definitely grown up and matured throughout the series and this is most evident in this novel.

Plot: 4/5

This is the strongest part of the book as the plot amazingly actually managed to keep me engrossed throughout. There was much more action to keep you on your toes and another great use of the split narrative through chapters. This helped to add a different dimension and appeal to the story and definitely added another star out of 5 for me. The twists in the story were very predictable, the two biggest ones I had guessed from the frontcover of the book and so didn't give the emphasis they were meant to. I think if Paolini had tried a little harder he could have made his twists less obvious but maybe that was just me?

Characters: 3/5

In my opinion this is a part that Paolini really needs to improve. There is barely any character development with any of the major characters, with them all seeming a little stale in this last novel. The split narration allowed for some character development with Nasuada and also a relationship to develop but he quickly ended this and found a cheap and easy way of not having to write any more of that. Some of the questions I had from the last book weren't even answered by the end of this novel and that left me feeling unsatissfied and disappointed.

Overall: 3/5

This was probably my favourite book of the series but that isn't saying much considering how much I hated the others. I felt quite proud of myself for making it to the end of this series, which, I thought was frankly mind numbing. If you have made it to this novel you are rewarded with a slightly better read but not spectacular. This is a series I shall not be picking up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment