Saturday, 21 July 2012

Book Review- The Fallen Star

Title: The Fallen Star
Author: Jessica Sorensen
Publication Date: April 7th 2011
Publisher: Createspace
Pages: 449 (paperback)
Series: Fallen Star #1
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal Fantasy,

Rating: 3/5

"For eighteen year-old Gemma, life has never been normal. Up until recently, she has been incapable of feeling emotion. And when she's around Alex, the gorgeous new guy at school, she can feel electricity that makes her skin buzz. Not to mention the monsters that haunt her nightmares have crossed over into real-life. But with Alex seeming to hate her and secrets popping up everywhere, Gemma's life is turning into a chaotic mess. Things that shouldn't be real suddenly seem to exist. And as her world falls apart, figuring out the secrets of her past becomes a matter of life and death."- Goodreads

My Thoughts:

I got this book on my kindle at Christmas time as the novel was free on Amazon. I wasn't sure what to expect as I don't really like the paranormal genre of books but as it was free I was willing to give it a chance.

Plot: 3/5

I quite enjoyed this plot as it wasn't as predictable as I thought it would be. Although at the start of the novel it read like a terrible Twilight copy it did improve as it went on. The story around the fallen star, although has been used before, was presented in a different and unique way. I was worried at one part as there felt like there could be a love triangle being introduced but it seemed to fade away again.

Characters: 2/5

The main character is a girl called Gemma, who has got to be one of the worst and most dislikeable characters I have ever had the misfortune to read about. She is whinny and spent a lot of the novel complaining to anyone who would listen. She was also very childish and immature and I felt like telling her to grow up a lot. She also seemed quite cowardly in my eyes. She spent a lot of time hiding behind people,waiting for them to get her out of there.
The main love interest is a boy called Alex who is your usual mysterious good looking guy. Gemma seemed to fall in love with him instantly which annoys me and is very common in young adult fiction at the moment. He wasn't a particularly interesting character as you knew very little about him.

Overall: 3/5

Although this story starts like a poor Twilight copy it does improve. It isn't the most amazing paranormal novel I have ever read but it isn't bad. If you like paranormal novels I would give it try.

No comments:

Post a Comment