Wednesday, 18 July 2012

Book Review- Eldest

Title: Eldest
Author: Chrisopher Paolini
Publication date: August 23rd 2007
Publisher: Corgi
Pages: 668
Series: Inheritance #2
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Rating: 2/5
Darkness falls ...Despair abounds ...Evil reigns ...Eragon and his dragon, Saphira, have just saved the rebel state from destruction by the mighty forces of King Galbatorix, cruel ruler of the Empire. Now Eragon must travel to Ellesmera, land of the elves, for further training in magic and swordsmanship, the vital skills of the Dragon Rider.It is the journey of a lifetime, filled with awe-inspiring new places and people, each day a fresh adventure. But chaos and betrayal plague him at every turn, and Eragon isn't sure whom he can trust. Meanwhile, his cousin Roran must fight a new battle back home in Carvahall - one that puts Eragon in even graver danger. Will the king's dark hand strangle all resistance? Eragon may not escape with even his life .
- Goodreads

My Thoughts

As Eragon was such an average book I really wasn't expecting wonderful things from this book. In my opinion this is the worst book in the series as it is slower and more boring than all the others. For much of the book I found myself skimming over parts in a desperate attempt to get the book finished.

Plot: 1/5

This is perhaps the major failling in this book is the frankly awful plot. It feels to me as if this is a kind of filler book, that Paolini has written without really planning the story beforehand. Apart from being incredibly slow to read, it also lacked any major events to move the story along until perhaps the last 80 pages. Paolini coud have deleted 600 pages and been left with a credible 80 page fantasy short story. Although most of this book wasn't good, we did get another display of Paolini's form when it comes to writing action sequences. This is something I believe Paolini does very well and the end of this book was a perfect example of this.

Characters: 2/5

None of the characters we were introduced to in the last book have changed or matured that much in this novel, but the new characters we were introduced to have been interesting so far. Oromis and Glaeder are two likeable characters that I would have loved to find out a bit more about in this book. Elva is another intriguing character that I look forward to reading more about as is Nasuada.

Writing Style: 3/5

One thing I definitely liked in Eldest was the way the novel was written. I really enjoyed reading Roran's story and I found some light relief in his story from Eragon's tedious training. I liked the way this writing style kept me on my toes with which story I was in, but also it was the only reason I continued reading the book.

Overall: 2/5

I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone because as a sequel it was very poor and there are definitely better series around.

No comments:

Post a Comment