Wednesday, 18 July 2012

Book Review- Brisingr

Title: Brisingr
Author: Christopher Paolini
Publication date: September 20th 2008
Publisher: Corgi
Pages: 763
Series: Inheritance #3
Genre: Fantasy Young Adult
Rating: 3/5
OATHS SWORN . . . loyalties tested . . . forces collide.Following the colossal battle against the Empire’s warriors on the Burning Plains, Eragon and his dragon, Saphira, have narrowly escaped with their lives. Still there is more at hand for the Rider and his dragon, as Eragon finds himself bound by a tangle of promises he may not be able to keep.
First is Eragon’s oath to his cousin Roran: to help rescue Roran’s beloved, Katrina, from King Galbatorix’s clutches. But Eragon owes his loyalty to others, too. The Varden are in desperate need of his talents and strength—as are the elves and dwarves. When unrest claims the rebels and danger strikes from every corner, Eragon must make choices— choices that take him across the Empire and beyond, choices that may lead to unimagined sacrifice.
Eragon is the greatest hope to rid the land of tyranny. Can this once-simple farm boy unite the rebel forces and defeat the king? - Goodreads

My Thoughts

Compared to the last two books this was a great improvement, but it still wasn't a great novel. I am pleased to say that the series is developing, with parts from previous books becoming important now, which is what a good series should do.

Plot: 3/5

Although this is the longest book in the series, I am pleased to say that I didn't feel the need to skip through the large sections of descriptions as this book did not contain many, unlike the previous books. This plot was faster paced, with more action but still contained a lot of excess talking and information that I didn't really felt was necessary. Again Paolini has written some great action sequences that were so well written that I felt as if I was there. At times, his writing can compete with great fantasy authors, and these flashes of brilliance are what made this book more enjoyable.

Characters: 2/5

There is very little change in the characters from the previous book. Also no new characters were added, which I felt was a bit disappointing but there are a lot of characters as it is. I still wish I had more information on some characters like Angela (c'mon what is going on with her?) but most of them are quite one dimensional and I don't feel like there is much more I could know.

Overall: 3/5

Thankfully this series is improving but I still struggled to get through the whole book but if you can get through the first two books then persevere through this book too because trust me, it gets better.

No comments:

Post a Comment